Saturday, April 21, 2012

S is for Skating

S is for Skating


I can't remember a time when I wasn't thrilled by the feeling of the ice beneath my blades.  The cool breeze caressing my face as I glide over the silken surface, I feel a freedom that I can't explain. I don't know why, but it is something that is a part of me as integral as my own hand.  The combination of artistry, musicality, and physical movement is both challenging and inspiring to my soul. It recharges my creative energy and allows the other areas of my life to flow with ease.

I thought maybe as I got older, it wouldn't be as much fun, but even now, every time I step on the ice my heart flutters with excitement.  Most of my time is now spent coaching and I'm grateful that I can share my passion with my students and my daughters, Jess and Alyss, who skate with me every day.  But once in awhile I get to really let loose and have some fun myself.  Here is a video that Jess took of me the other day while I was spinning.  I thought it was kinda cool.  Hope you enjoy.





Make sure to check out all the other A-Zers.

Have a super Saturday!

Kathy :)

11 comments:

  1. wonderful!! my daughter took for a while, never got to this point--i always enjoyed watching but almost would freeze each time, i sat there--nice post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been enchanted with ice skating. I never passed the "leaning ankle" phase myself. It's still my favorite part of the winter Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful to watch but I never caught the fever for it or appreciated the cold!

    Laura
    A to Z of Immortals, Myths & Legends

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you're amazing!! I have always wanted to ice skate like that. I used to imagine ice skating to different songs... that must be such a rush, hearing a really great song out on the ice and skating to it! I've always been into dancing and to be able to dance on the ice with blades on must be exhilerating. Growing up in FLA there weren't much options for ice skating. I think it's fantastic you coach your girls and they're into it. BTW Jess is a fab writer! I'm really impressed with her craft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm so impressed - what a cool photo!

    I love skating, too. I grew up in Canada by a lake, so yeah... skating is in my blood. I miss it now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to "cut loose" more often...especially when we are there to watch you. You skate better than Midori Ito :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done. I love watching figure skating, and thanks to Alyss, I now know the move in the video was a scratch spin. At least, to my un-nuanced eye, that's what it looked like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The alignment of what you love to do and how much time you actually spend doing it on a daily basis is, to me, the essence of freedom. Cheers to freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kathy, I can feel your passion in this post, and I enjoyed the video clip - must have been interesting to film; Jess did a great job.

    Wonderful "S" post.

    Jenny @ Pearson Report
    Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! We didn't have a lot of ice rinks near me when I was a kid, but I practically grew up on my roller blades. Not quite the same thing (it's okay; I'm not graceful enough for ice skates), but still a fun time.

    ReplyDelete