Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D is for Dag Nabit!



Today is not only D-Day for the A-to-Z Challenge,  it is also the first Wednesday of the month which means it is time for Alex J Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group.  So it is a double challenge to fit in a D-word with one of my insecurities, but I have managed to do it.  So here goes....




D is for Dag Nabit!

Okay I know that isn't a word, but I don't feel comfortable making my characters swear. So I have to resort to silly words like "dag nabit" and "darn it all" that were used by my grandma. I have never been one to use swear words in my own speech, well maybe occasionally, but I'm kind of embarrassed to make my characters use them. I know I shouldn't be.  They are separate entities from me.  And clearly a few well placed swear words can intensify certain scenes.

I've made up my own swear words for my fantasy WIP.  For some reason it doesn't bother me to have them say, "You son of a kreda!  Get the KHAM out of here!"  In my historical fiction I did manage to use a few asses, hells, and damns, but that's as far as I can push it.


So how do I overcome this crazy insecurity and let loose with a string of expletives that would make my grandma blush?  And is it necessary?  What do you think, does it enhance a character's reality to be swearing?

Well that's enough drama for today.  I hope you have a delightful day!

Kathy :)
We were delighted to discover Devil's Tower in Wyoming on our way to Seattle
Thought today I'd give you a "D" picture instead of my crazy digital drawings.  :) 

11 comments:

  1. please please may I have dag nabit - great word will have to use it. I am not keen on swearing myself and for my characters - no - I have curses in my books -like you made up ones don't sound so bad! am writing amodern one now and have to decide how much to include to be realistic - so far I have one instance in 60,000 words - so maybe I dont actually need any!

    thanks for dropping by - hope you're enjoying the a-z

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think swearing is ever strictly necessary. When used properly, it can enhance a scene. More than that, though, it can help create a voice for the characters. Some of my characters swear, some don't. In my YA book, I get around it by saying things like, "Laurie let out a string of expletives that would have made her mother blush," or something like that. In my adult book, I don't mind including it. But books (or people for that matter) who swear too much can be a turn off for me, so it's kind of a balancing act, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My characters say some mild stuff. I've got to be true to them. And I have to admit, I heard my Italian grandmother use the Italian F word a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use a few swear words in certain emotionally charged scenes. But that's as far as I go. And no F-bombs. I don't use the word so my characters don't either...besides, my mom reads my books! lol! She'd have a fit - it's bad enough there's some mild swearing.

    Great word for "D"
    Michelle
    www.michelle-pickett.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. I think making up your own swear words is brilliant. Like "frack" from Battlestar Galactica. Great post and happy A-Z blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any teenager or even pre-teen (we used to say "swear like a sailor" but today's teens are much better) who is not home schooled should be able to help you out with the latest and best swear words...and then you could just mix up the letters of each word and, voila!, a newly laundered swear word! Or maybe I misunderstood your dilemma and gave you a solution to a different problem that you don't really have. No ducking charge for the sheepload of useless crepe (oops, that one slipped out), dag rabbit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am like you... expletives are rarely used.. but not because i'm insecure, but rather it doesn't feel right (with anything i've written so far..... ). nice write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there is tremendous value in being true to (1) who you are and (2) how you feel comfortable writing. Follow your inner voice. Let the REAL YOU shine through your literature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice photo and blog also the mountain so beautiful.
    Do check my D at GAC a-z

    ReplyDelete
  10. dag nabit! I haven't done my "d" yet and it's already "E" day!
    Love that word! (I often shorten it to just "dag".)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I used to never swear. I remember sort of being embarrassed by it in high school, haha. Now I swear a little more often, I guess because I never swore I'd think how funny it be if I did, or something, and that just spiraled. Haha! I've made it sound like I swear every other word, but anyway.

    I'm still very careful about making characters who swear. If I can, I just have a tag, like, "he cursed," or such. But at some point, I wrote a character where he just wasn't the same character without cursing, and that has started the process of accepting it in my works.

    Though I still use it rarely, and only to enhance the scenes if my character must say them. It also depends on the swear word. As you mentioned, some are easier for me to write and use than others.

    ReplyDelete