Thursday, April 19, 2012

Q is for Dr. Seuss?

Q is for the Quick Queen of Quincy and her Quacking Quackeroo
   
 As a kid I loved Dr. Seuss books.  My dad used to read them to me so many times that he got bored and started reading them all backwards, both the words and the sentences.  I thought it was great!
  
When I became a homeschooling mom Dr. Seuss became an essential part of our day.  All three kids learned to read starting with Dr. Seuss' ABC Book. It is a fun filled book with great rhymes, nonsense words like quackeroo, obvious alliteration to help kids learn the sound of each letter, and of course crazy pictures.  "Q" has always been one of my favorites with the Quick Queen of Quincy and her giant duck-like pet, the quacking quackeroo.   After learning the sounds of the letters, my kids quickly moved to Go Dogs Go and finally on to Green Eggs and Ham and others. They learned that reading was fun not a chore.

With Dr. Seuss' help my kids learned to love the sounds of language.  They haven't stopped reading since.  
They're even writing their own books.  :)  Thanks Dr. Seuss!!


Check out all the other A-Zers.  Have a quackilicious day!!

Kathy :)


8 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, even I grew up reading Dr. Seuss. Great choice for your Q.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Dr. Seuss. I read Oh Say Can You Say? so much I almost broke the binding. I was actually looking for Oh, The Place You'll Go! to reread the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids love Dr. Seuss. Oh, who am I kidding, their mom loves Dr. Seuss too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i too am a homeschooling mom---yes i think kids learn so much from the repetitious sounds of dr. seuss

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful reading tools, especially for introducing playing with language to kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being from another country, I did not grow up with Dr. Seuss. It's interesting, now that I think about it, that it wasn't available (at least when I was growing up there) because American movies and literature have always been very popular in Japan.

    I think it's one of those treasure books that would be difficult, if not impossible, to translate into non-Germanic languages - particularly when new "derivative" (as opposed to completely new) words are being created within that story. Instead of being able to INSTANTLY get the humor, as English-speaking children would, the reader (again, likely to be children) would first need to understand the original words in a foreign language and then realize that they are derivatives of them. Perhaps by the time a lengthy explanation is given as to why the story is funny, humor would be lost.

    For children and adults alike, being bilingual and not having to rely on others to enjoy some of the literary treasures, such as Dr. Seuss, in their original language is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post! Dr. Seuss was a wonderful writer.

    ReplyDelete