Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I is for Imagination

I is for Imagination


“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.” 
― Albert Einstein

I remember one of the first stories I wrote in fifth grade. It was about this girl who was picked on because the wool sweater she wore was covered in lint balls.  Devastated she ran to the bathroom to hide.  She combed her sweater over and over again, until there was a gargantuan ball of lint which came alive and ate the school.  I can't quite remember but I think in the end the girl saved all the kids and teachers.

I haven't stopped dreaming up crazy characters and situations.

I was lucky I had a great teacher to inspire my imagination.  I hope I am as successful in inspiring my own students to imagine.
The power to imagine where I could be has helped me become the person that I am.    

****

Parker hanging out with my girls and their friend after a skating show

Speaking of dreaming big, I have to highlight a good friend who does a lot to inspire kids' imagination and dreams.  Parker Pennington, a U.S. National figure skating champion at four different levels produces the SKATE DANCE DREAM SHOW.   It is a truly unique show where he brings together National competitors of figure skating and dance to perform with talented children from the local area.  Some of the stars he has recruited are Gev Manoukian from "So You Think You Can Dance" and Ross Miner the 2012 U.S. National Senior Bronze medalist in figure skating. The local kids get to participate in seminars led by the stars and perform with them in group numbers.  A few lucky ones even get to skate/dance a duet number with the stars.
His next show is coming to Mentor, Ohio on April 28th. If you're in the area check it out.

Parker's enthusiasm and gregarious personality are perfect for inspiring kids to dream big.  He is making role models accessible and creating a bond between skaters/dancers and their idols.  I'm proud to know Parker!


Make sure to check out all the other A-Z Challenge entries.  And have an imagination filled day!


Kathy :)
   I leave you with one last Einstein quote.  (I found both of them on goodreads.com/)


“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” 
― Albert Einstein

11 comments:

  1. Imagination is such a wonderful thing - watching kids playing is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Great minds, right? I'll check yours out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A child's imagination is so pure, one of childhood's greatest treasures - one adults long to find again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see that Lint Ball as a children's book! My son would love that.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right - imagination is a great thing not only in writing, but in life. I love those Einstein quotes. I second the motion to work on Lint Ball as a picture book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. of course thats your word =)
    how cool is it to meet a pro!
    and great quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Einstein quote about logic and A-Z. Imagination is something writers have to have, probably more than anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a child, particularly at school, I was always told I was a day dreamer as if that was a bad thing to be. Luckily I've had the odd teacher throughout my life that nurtured that.

    I think it's sad how we're discouraged from dreaming, especially as we get older. I love the way people stare when I wear my little kitty ears in public; if I was 8 they wouldn't bat an eyelid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent Einstein quotes. The skate club here draws in wonderful role models for the kids. Love seeing the professionals work to build up the younger enthusiasts.

    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  10. Viva imagination! Great post, Kathy--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a child, I imagined a better world. Now I live in one in the United States. I cherish and savor this environment each and every day.

    ReplyDelete