Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for Fishin with Gramps

Today is "F" Day in the A-to-Z Challenge.  I decided to mix it up a little today and give you a short flash fiction/poetic piece since Rachael Harrie over at Rach Writes has gotten me hooked on flash fiction.

Here goes:

Fishin with Gramps

Soon it will be dark, but for now the sky is painted with streaks of pink and orange.
Our reflections stare back at us from the surface of the glass-like water.
We are both older now, but here in the boat, time stands still.
The silly songs we sang to pass the time are mere whispers,
Yet the lake is unchanged.
I can still see the girl in pig-tails
The darkness will be upon us soon and our time will be up
But for now in the serenity of the evening, I'm fishin with Gramps.


Have a fabulous weekend!

Kathy :)

17 comments:

  1. An evocotive piece. I remember being taken fishing by my grandfather with my cousins (both boys) and my brother. We were on a river bank. I loved it, not because I was fishing but because it was quiet enough for me to read my book without being interrupted. It's the only time the boys were ever quiet for any length of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I feel a tug on my heart from memories gone by. Fishing with Gramps. What an awesome memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG but my eyes misted. My grandfather and I used to fish together. He was a man of few words, but I remember every one. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I loved the poem! My husband loved to fish and take our grandkids to fish. They had a lot of fun together and my grandkids still talk about it. Memories are wonderful, aren't they? Gotta go, more blog-hopping to do. Regards to you, Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fishing with gramps sounds like a lot of fun.:)

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice verse, really captured the moment you were striving for, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This deserves to be printed under a picture of you and Gramps fishing, at any age, and then framed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun post for "F" Day ...

    Popping in as an A to Z Blogging Challenge participant. Please feel free to visit and comment on any of my blogs as well, leaving a link to your own post, so my readers can find you too!

    You can click my name/icon for links to all six A to Z blogs! Happy A-to-Z-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Gramps is like Yoda, the Jedi Master of life. Through his actions, he taught you (and your brothers) so well to keep the torch of humanity lit for the next generation and beyond. What a beautifully captured memory at the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful piece, with just a touch of melancholy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The "fishin with gramps" bit in particular made me smile. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely little story! I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that in itself is a huge challenge, with almost 2000 bloggers now!!

      Delete