Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Z is for the End


PT’s 91 Years of Wisdom
This year, I had a terrible time trying to figure out what my A-Z theme would be.  I finally decided that this year, I would honor my beloved 91 year old grandfather, Paul Titus, or PT as his friends called him, who passed away on February 8th.  He lived a wonderfully full life and was always trying to challenge my brothers and me to think out of the box.  So for this challenge I thought I would share little bits of his wisdom that he tried to bestow upon us.  
But I also want to highlight the wonderful bloggers in this community who have published their books.  So everyday, I will give a quick  shout out to those works with titles beginning with the letter of the day.

Gramps's favorite place; the lake at sunset
There aren't any words that begin with "Z" to go with Gramps, but there was one word that he and I made up together.  

"Sikeemuzzah" - It didn't really have a meaning. We used it as an exclamation. Then we would continue speaking in our own nonsense language, and somehow we knew what the other person was saying.  

We had so much fun together and I'm thankful for every minute I was able to spend with him. I still have times when I think, "Oh I have to call and ask Gramps how to fix that towel rack in the bathroom," or "I have to show Gramps a picture of my blooming orchids." Then my heart sinks, because I know I can't.  

I know he was ready to go. He wondered for years why he was left on this Earth for so long without Grams. And now he is finally with her, but it doesn't make the loss easier for us who are left behind.

****


I wish you all could have really known Gramps, I'm sure he would have loved talking to you virtually. He would have marveled at the thought of making friends all over the world. I think part of the reason I enjoy getting to meet all of you is because of the curiosity he inspired in me to learn about others.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your posts! I didn't get to as many as I would have liked but I will continue to visit people on the list.

Gramps and our family
I hope you all enjoyed this year's A-Z Challenge as much as I did and congratulations to everyone who completed it!!

Kathy :)

8 comments:

  1. I wish we could've known him as well. I didn't get a chance to really know either of my grandfathers.
    Thank you for sharing such wonderful stories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have known him! I have only one grandparent living. Gorgeous sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have known him! I have only one grandparent living. Gorgeous sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your stories :) It's so clear how much you love him and I'm sure we all would if we met him, too!
    Congrats on finishing the Challenge!

    AJ Lauer
    #atozchallenge helper minion
    Twitter: @ayjaylauer

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had such a great theme for this month. It was a wonderful way to honor your grandfather.

    Congrats on making it to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of Gramps. It is great that you have such wonderful memories and are generous enough to share them with us.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tribute to your Gramps was so wonderful, I felt I knew him as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations in completing the A to Z Challenge.

    Yvonne
    A to Z AMBASSADOR.

    ReplyDelete