Thursday, April 18, 2013

P is for Pride


PT’s 91 Years of Wisdom
This year, I had a terrible time trying to figure out what my A-Z theme would be.  I finally decided that this year, I would honor my beloved 91 year old grandfather, Paul Titus, or PT as his friends called him, who passed away on February 8th.  He lived a wonderfully full life and was always trying to challenge my brothers and me to think out of the box.  So for this challenge I thought I would share little bits of his wisdom that he tried to bestow upon us.  
But I also want to highlight the wonderful bloggers in this community who have published their books.  So everyday, I will give a quick  shout out to those works with titles beginning with the letter of the day.  



Gramps 
Gramps had quite a bit of self confidence and knew exactly who he was.  Sometimes he was worthy of this self-glorification, sometimes he was not.

One sunny day many years ago, Gramps, Grams, and my mom went up to Northern Michigan with a group of relatives, for a canoe trip down the Manistee River.  Grams sat at the front of the canoe in her lemon yellow pantsuit, Gramps steered from the rear, and young Sandie sat between them.  They slipped seamlessly through the cool, clear water.
The river flows gently with no strong rapids, so they enjoyed talking, looking for trout and gazing at the stately pines lining the banks.  Sandie watched as little black winged damselflies flitted about.  Their shimmering green bodies flashed in the sun.
Gramps was busy with his fish pole when Grams asked, “Hey what’s that in the water?  It looks like a wallet.”   
"Oh it can’t be, no one would be that stupid,” he said.    What damn fool would lose their wallet on the river?" Gramps asked.  
            "It does look like a wallet, Dad," Sandie said as she watched it float by.
“What damn fool would lose their wallet on the river?" Gramps asked.  
"Well I don’t know, but Dad it looks like yours."
            Gramps's hand instinctively checked his back pocket.  It was empty.  His heart sank as he watched the wallet swirl in an eddie about to sink to the bottom.
            "It is mine!" he hollered.
            He clutched the oar and stretched it out, gently scooping it up.  One half dangled precariously off the end, threatening to jump back in.  Slowly, Gramps pulled it in, until he could grab it.
            He inspected it.  There was his driver's license and his soaked cash.  He looked up to see Grams and Sandie laughing.
"Well I guess I'm the damn fool," He said as he joined in their laughter.

He never lived that one down.

****

Time for the "P" title shout outs.

Ellie Garratt
Ali Cross




Julie Flanders
Elana Johnson
Michael Pierce













Have a perfect "P" day!  Make sure to check out all the other A-Zers here!

Kathy :)

5 comments:

  1. Well, at least he admitted it!
    Great book choices today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful and touching theme! I love this tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could laugh at himself, great quality there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the shout-out, I really appreciate that! And I loved reading about your Grandfather, he must have been a great guy. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete