Monday, April 22, 2013

R is for Rings

Well, lately my weekends have been crazier than my weekdays, but they sure have been fun! So I'm late in posting again.  Sorry guys!  I'll post "S" later today.



PT’s 91 Years of Wisdom
This year, I had a terrible time trying to figure out what my A-Z theme would be.  I finally decided that this year, I would honor my beloved 91 year old grandfather, Paul Titus, or PT as his friends called him, who passed away on February 8th.  He lived a wonderfully full life and was always trying to challenge my brothers and me to think out of the box.  So for this challenge I thought I would share little bits of his wisdom that he tried to bestow upon us.  
But I also want to highlight the wonderful bloggers in this community who have published their books.  So everyday, I will give a quick  shout out to those works with titles beginning with the letter of the day.  


Gramps with me and my husband
One day when I was about eight, I went to the mall with Gramps, Grams, and my mom.  We split up because Gramps and I just wanted to sit and watch all the people go by while Grams and Mom were off in the dress shops.  But then Gramps decided he wanted to wander around.  So,  hand in hand we went exploring.  When we entered a diamond store, my little heart beat faster.  I was thrilled to see real diamonds, rubies and emeralds, like a real princess would wear.

Gramps asked to see some of the diamond rings.  So the dark-haired lady at the counter reached down and brought them up for us to inspect.  Oh they were so sparkly!  

She smiled at me with her perfectly painted red lips and asked, “What do you think of this one?” She held up a ring with three tiers of small diamonds set in circles around a center stone.

“It’s beautiful,” I said.  I had never seen anything so pretty.    

“What’s the occasion?” the lady asked Gramps.

“Oh, it’s our anniversary,” he said grinning ear to ear.  My cheeks burned with embarrassment.

“Gramps, it is not!” I said admonishing him.  

I of course knew he was joking, but the lady played along asking me which ones I liked best.  I was mortified! He certainly loved being different! 

Later that year he gave Grams the beautiful tiered ring for their 40th anniversary and I was glad to have been there when he picked it out.


****
Now for the "R" shout outs!

Elana Johnson
Ciara Knight


Have a romantic "R" day!
Check out all the other A-Zers here.

Kathy :)

3 comments:

  1. That was cool you were there when he picked out the ring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, now I think the whole thing was really funny, but I was so embarrassed at the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely but he was a bit sneaky not telling you why he wanted you to look at the ring!

    ReplyDelete