Friday, April 19, 2013

Q is for Quiet


PT’s 91 Years of Wisdom
This year, I had a terrible time trying to figure out what my A-Z theme would be.  I finally decided that this year, I would honor my beloved 91 year old grandfather, Paul Titus, or PT as his friends called him, who passed away on February 8th.  He lived a wonderfully full life and was always trying to challenge my brothers and me to think out of the box.  So for this challenge I thought I would share little bits of his wisdom that he tried to bestow upon us.  
But I also want to highlight the wonderful bloggers in this community who have published their books.  So everyday, I will give a quick  shout out to those works with titles beginning with the letter of the day.  



Gramps and Ryan
Gramps and I used to love sneaking around the house, (he and Grams lived in the other half of our house).  Most of the time my little brother and I would dress in all black so we could be like ninjas.  Then the three of us would “sneak” behind my parents or Grams and scare them.  Of course they would play along and act afraid.  We would run back to the shadows and hide for a moment to regroup, then attack again.  Usually it went on for about a half hour, then we would slink off.  

For some reason, we got in the habit of making a snarling sound to end the game with a scary bang.  It was probably a signal from Gramps to tell my mom he was tired and it was time for us kids to get to bed.


Another time when Gramps and I had to be quiet was when we went lizard huntin’.  Every year when we went down to Florida, we tried to catch the little green anoles that sunned themselves everywhere.  Our favorite spot to try to get them was on the palm trees.  Gramps approached from one side while I distracted it from the other.  Most of the time the little guys got away.  But twice we caught one.  They were so adorable.  I got to hold them and we even kept one for awhile.  (I'm sure that wouldn't be allowed today.) 
 

****

I couldn't find any books by blogger buddies beginning with "Q". So if you know of any, please
mention it in the comments.

I just finished reading Don Quixote and I think it may be one of the best books I've ever read.  It is long, but definitely worth the effort.

Have a quixotic "Q"day! Don't forget to check out all the other A-Z participants here.

Kathy :)

11 comments:

  1. I love the theme that's such an awesome tribute to your gramps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little lizards are everywhere in Florida. I never tried to catch one, but I took a lot of pictures of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was his 'please save me' signal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a fun childhood with gramps around! He must have had a lot of energy, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute story and an even cuter picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your gramps sounds pretty awesome :)

    I've not read Don Quixote yet, but it is on my list. Someday I'll get to it. Someday. LoL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love chasing the anoles in FL! In grad school I got a call from a terrified classmate at 11pm to come over and get one out of her apartment hahaha.. Harmless little things :)

    AJ Lauer
    #atozchallenge helper minion
    Twitter: @ayjaylauer

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really enjoying coming by when I can to read about your Gramps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm late to visit your blog, but I love your theme! What a wonderful tribute, especially because it lasts all month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute story about Gramps, and how nice you have stories to share, which I'm sure bring a smile to your face. Sweet memories. Never heard of anoles though, we always called them chameleons. Are they the same?

    ReplyDelete