Wednesday, April 17, 2013

O is for Older Than Dirt


PT’s 91 Years of Wisdom
This year, I had a terrible time trying to figure out what my A-Z theme would be.  I finally decided that this year, I would honor my beloved 91 year old grandfather, Paul Titus, or PT as his friends called him, who passed away on February 8th.  He lived a wonderfully full life and was always trying to challenge my brothers and me to think out of the box.  So for this challenge I thought I would share little bits of his wisdom that he tried to bestow upon us.  
But I also want to highlight the wonderful bloggers in this community who have published their books.  So everyday, I will give a quick  shout out to those works with titles beginning with the letter of the day.  



Gramps surrounded by the people he guided
“The first 90 years are easy, it’s the second 90 that are difficult.”-Paul Titus

“Growin’ old ain’t for sissies.”- Paul Titus

Gramps had a “friend” who liked to joke that Gramps was so old he must be older than dirt, or dinosaurs.  I didn’t think he was much of a friend.  As usual Gramps laughed it off. He never let his age determine what he did.  He was still slalom water-skiing in his 70’s, deer hunting into his 80’s and at 89 he chopped down a dead tree in his yard.
It wasn’t until he turned 90, that he began to slow down.  His body wouldn’t allow him to do the things his brain still wanted to.  It frustrated him.  Often he would tell me, “The most important thing I do all day is the dishes.”  He felt like he could no longer contribute to the world.  
I tried to explain that the time he spent with his grandchildren and great-grandchildren, guiding and loving them, was how he continued to make a difference.  His incredibly active mind could still teach the next generations so much.  He admitted I was right, but for a man who hated sitting down, it was a hard pill to swallow.  
            
In honor of Gramps, I would love it if everyone reading this today would make an older person in their life feel important.  Call them and listen, or ask their advice.  Let them know they are still around for a reason.  

****
Now for the "O" title shout outs! There are a lot of them today.

Jade Hart

Have an outstanding "O" day!  Check out all the other A-Zers here


Kathy :)

8 comments:

  1. Your grandfather had a strong body - and will - to be so active for so long.
    I know all of those authors! (And I'm actually in two of them, which is really weird.) Did you know Jade has a new book coming out this Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your theme!

    Thanx for visiting me wee home. Thought I'd come and do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad is 87 and still going strong. I dread the day when his body won't let him do all the things he's used to doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a shame when the physical aspects let us down but the older generation can still teach the younger ones a thing or two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I just hope my mind is as sharp as your Gramps' at 90!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was featured in Overcoming Adversity! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful legacy he has left for you. I wish I could have known him.
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete