Thursday, April 4, 2013

D is for Dinosaurs


Gramps surrounded by family on his 90th birthday
PT’s 91 Years of Wisdom
This year, I had a terrible time trying to figure out what my A-Z theme would be.  I finally decided that this year, I would honor my beloved 91 year old grandfather, Paul Titus, or PT as his friends called him, who passed away on February 8th.  He lived a wonderfully full life and was always trying to challenge my brothers and me to think out of the box.  So for this challenge I thought I would share little bits of his wisdom that he tried to bestow upon us.  
But I also want to highlight the wonderful bloggers in this community who have published their books.  So everyday, I will give a quick  shout out to those works with titles beginning with the letter of the day.  



D IS FOR DINOSAURS

Gramps read the newspaper everyday, but I never saw him sit down and read a book.  He was always busy building things or doing things.  But when I was about 6 or 7, he would come over to our apartment before I went to school and read to me.  Every morning, it was the same book.  Dinosaur Time.  I loved this book.  I loved the pictures, I loved the short descriptions, and the pronunciation guide, but most of all I loved how Gramps read it.  He didn’t just read the words.  He performed them, like he was in a Shakespearean play.  And every time, when he got to the end, where it says something like, “Eventually all the dinosaurs died out and no one knows why, not even the scientists,” Gramps would say, “Golly, and I didn’t even know they were sick.” I would laugh every time.
by Peggy Parish orig published 1974


I still have a love for dinosaurs and reading, and I still have the book, Dinosaur Time, which I have shared with my kids.    

Some of Gramps's favorite "D" words:
Damn
Dandy
Dickens- as in "What in the dickens are you doing?"

****

Now time for the "D" titled shout outs!

























Cherie Reich

These were the only ones I could find beginning with a "D".  If I missed someone's go ahead and put it in the comments.  
Make sure to go check out all the other great A-Zers here.  

I hope everyone has a dandy "D" day.

Kathy :)

14 comments:

  1. Dinosaurs - how lovely - a bit of history first thing for you to absorb. Such a great man to have had in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little guy loves hat dinosaur book! I've seen Ali's covers on several blogs today. They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story. And thank you for adding The Dragonslayer in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's given you so many great memories!

    Barbara
    D is for: Deadlines
    The Daille-y News

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I remember that book! What a wonderful memory of your grandfather. Your theme for the Challenge is so sweet.

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pretty sure we had that same dinosaur book.

    Dropping in from A to Z. This is my first year. I love it.

    Brett Minor
    Transformed Nonconformist

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your grandfather was so cool.
    Excellent choices for D! I have all of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so lovely! Nice to have the memory to pass down to your children too! Every one loves dinosaurs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had that SAME dinosaur book!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just caught up with your A - D. So sweet to pay homage to your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some great shouts there, loved Cherie's and Christine's books.

    Your grandpa was an awesome dude!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to be a dinosaur when I grew up, but, failing that, I spent many years wanting to be a paleontologist.

    ReplyDelete