Wednesday, April 24, 2013

U is for Unbelievable



PT’s 91 Years of Wisdom
This year, I had a terrible time trying to figure out what my A-Z theme would be.  I finally decided that this year, I would honor my beloved 91 year old grandfather, Paul Titus, or PT as his friends called him, who passed away on February 8th.  He lived a wonderfully full life and was always trying to challenge my brothers and me to think out of the box.  So for this challenge I thought I would share little bits of his wisdom that he tried to bestow upon us.  
But I also want to highlight the wonderful bloggers in this community who have published their books.  So everyday, I will give a quick  shout out to those works with titles beginning with the letter of the day.  

Gramps reading my writing
Gramps was unbelievable in many ways.  Literally you could not believe everything he said because half the time he was joking.  I knew to look in his eyes for the truth.  They had this certain gleam when he was trying to fool someone.    
He also had an unbelievable ability to judge distance, time, and volume without the aid of any measuring tool.  Throughout the day, I would test him by asking him what time it was when there was no clock in sight.  Often he would only be a couple of minutes off.  
If we went fishing and caught a fish, I asked him its length, then I would measure it to see how close he was.  Almost always within an inch!  I was amazed.  I thought maybe he had some special Jedi measuring powers, but he was simply a man who had spent his whole life measuring construction materials and now he could guess them about as close as he could measure them.
More than anything though he made people feel unbelievably special.  He took great care to not only talk to people but listen to them as well.  He was totally engaged in what they were saying and wanted them to share their experiences so he could learn from them.
I will always treasure the countless adventures that we had together.

****

Now for the "U" shout outs!

Roland Yeomans
Jessica Therrien

Milo James Fowler













Have an unbelievably great "U" day!  Find other A-Zers here

Kathy :)

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful photo. And there's definitely something special about a person who can make others feel that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've definitely felt privileged getting to know your gramps. He was a great man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally engaged - most people don't even know what that means now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People like that are so wonderful to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I've heard a lot good comments about UPRISING! I am going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete