Monday, April 25, 2016

U is for ... change of plans?

Cleveland is Cooler Than You Think!
All over the media, in tv and movies, Cleveland gets made fun of. In this year's A-Z Challenge, I'm here to show you everything Cleveland has to offer!


U is for... change of plans?

Because both my daughters are starting college this fall, I was thinking of posting about all the great universities around the Cleveland area, but when I started writing my post, I realized how boring that would be so this morning I began scrambling for something else that began with "U".


St John's Episcopal Church (photo: Wikipedia)
Underground Railroad

First, I found that Cleveland was part of the Underground Railroad. Cleveland was code named "Station Hope". It is said that runaway slaves would hide in the bell tower of the St. John's Episcopal Church, watch for signals from ships on Lake Erie, and when it was safe run down to the waterfront and board the ships to Canada and freedom. There seems to be some question though as to whether the church was actually involved as there is no "documentation" of it.



Underground Subway
Then I found out that in the early 1900's there was a very small portion of an underground subway that was built in Cleveland and ran from Detroit-Superior Ave. Supposedly, every spring they open up the area for visitors to walk through. Again, there was very little reliable information on this so I'll have to do some more digging. I did find a video showing what it looks like, which I've added to the links below if you're interested.

So while Cleveland's "underground" history seems a little up in the air it sparks the imagination a little more than just a list of the colleges nearby! :)

References:
St. John's Episcopal Church
Cleveland's Abandoned Subway
YouTube


Doggy Style (It's really not what you think!)

My three kids have taken up the habit of naming all the different positions our beagle Rory gets himself into.  Most of the time even I can't quite figure out why they chose the names they did but I thought it might put a smile on everyone's face to share in this silliness!


U is for Upturned Hip






Have a great Monday!

Kathy :)

3 comments:

  1. Rory is going to be famous after this.
    Exploring an old subway system could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about Cleveland's history concerning the Underground. That is interesting.
    As for Rory, I think he is one smart, cute Beagle.
    Visiting from the A to Z Blog Challenge.

    Shalom,
    Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete