Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Q is for Quicken Loans Arena

Cleveland is Cooler Than You Think!
All over the media, in tv and movies, Cleveland gets made fun of. In this year's A-Z Challenge, I'm here to show you everything Cleveland has to offer!

Q is for Quicken Loans Arena


The "Q" (photo: Wikipedia)
The "Q", as we Clevelanders lovingly call the arena, is the home of the Cleveland Cavaliers, as well as the Lake Erie Monsters hockey team, and the Cleveland Gladiators arena football team. It also is used as a concert venue for top artists such as P!nk, Justin Bieber, and Janet Jackson, and this summer it will be the host of the Republican National Convention.

I love the Cavs and LeBron, they are after all Cleveland's best hope for a championship, but being a hockey girl at heart, I love the "Q" more when there's ice. I honestly don't know how they can go from an ice rink to a basketball court in a matter of a day or two but somehow they work some magic and voila there is a perfect sheet of ice just waiting to be skated on.

This year the ice skating team I coach was lucky enough to perform after the first period of a Monster's game. The kids did a fabulous job skating and they were thrilled to be broadcast on the jumbotron, nicknamed the Humongotron (the largest NBA scoreboard)! Here's a few pictures of their performance. I'm lucky to have both my daughters Jessica and Alyssa on the team as well as a bunch of other great kids! I was so proud of them all!


My team focused near the end of the program! :)






Jess and Alyssa!






















The "Q" in the news:
In a sort of humorous but slightly frightening side note, I read in the Cleveland Plain Dealer that GOP convention planners were trying to get the "Q" to allow the convention goers to bring guns into the arena. The arena seats over 20,000 people. Imagine over 20,000 gun-toting Republicans all in the same building listening to speeches, getting worked up, then running around Cleveland... maybe it's time to plan a vacation out of town!  

Luckily, it sounds like the owners of the "Q" are standing firm and will not allow firearms in the building. I surely hope so!


References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken_Loans_Arena


Doggy Style (It's really not what you think!)


My three kids have taken up the habit of naming all the different positions our beagle Rory gets himself into.  Most of the time even I can't quite figure out why they chose the names they did but I thought it might put a smile on everyone's face to share in this silliness!

Q is for Quiet Time

Rory isn't quiet all that often, but when he is he is the sweetest pup around and wants to snuggle with the nearest person.  He always seems to know who needs him the most and usually goes to the person who is sad, isn't feeling well, or who has just had a really awful day.  


Brotherly love





Getting love from Jess
























Happy Wednesday!  Only 9 Challenge days left, I can't believe how fast it's going.  How have you held up? 


Kathy :)

5 comments:

  1. Blog hopping from North Carolina during the #Challenge. I have enjoyed looking through some of your theme posts, a form of arm chair travel well presented. I love doing this kind of thing. Published several five day trips that are like your model. It really works. If you have time or interest, I have written about hotels and themes this year. The research and personal experience helpful. Congratulations on all your work to create this blog. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quiet time, my favorite time of the day.
    Melanie Schulz from
    Melanie Schulz.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stepheny- Thanks for stopping by!

    Melanie- One of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete