Monday, April 11, 2016

I is for the Cleveland Indians

Cleveland is Cooler Than You Think!
All over the media, in tv and movies, Cleveland gets made fun of. In this year's A-Z Challenge, I'm here to show you everything Cleveland has to offer!


I is for the Cleveland Indians


Beautiful summer night at Progressive Field
I hate to admit it, it almost seems un-American, but I'm not much of a sports fan. Especially baseball. I liked playing it in the back yard, but watching it...not really. Maybe it's because I was brought to all my big brother's little league baseball games as a kid. All I remember, is hot sticky nights wandering the fields looking for clovers instead of watching the games. Of course growing up in Michigan in the 80's I was a Detroit Tigers fan, but really only because of the excitement of them winning the '84 World Series. I was a skater from a skating family so the only sport I really watched with enthusiasm was and still is hockey.

But spending a beautiful summer's evening relaxing with the family at an Indians game is a wonderful experience. You can't help getting caught up in the emotion of the crowd and having a great time.

When I realized the "Indians" were the only good "I" for my A-Z theme, I wondered how I would be able to write about baseball. But when I started researching it, I was excited to find some interesting bits of history.

Neat Historical Tidbits:

In the 14th century, people in England played an early form of baseball called, Trap ball with a ball and bat!

In 1869 The Forest Citys became Cleveland's first professional baseball club.

In 1887 it was the Cleveland Spiders

In 1914 they became the Cleveland Indians possibly because of Louis Sockalexis a Native American player on the team.

References: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Indians
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_baseball

Doggy Style (It's really not what you think!)

My three kids have taken up the habit of naming all the different positions our beagle Rory gets himself into.  Most of the time even I can't quite figure out why they chose the names they did but I thought it might put a smile on everyone's face to share in this silliness!


I is for Impersonator

Some times Rory thinks he's a person.


"I'm allowed at the dining table, right?"



Impersonating Elvis?













Have a great Monday! What did you do over the weekend?

Kathy :)

5 comments:

  1. Happy puppy!
    Cleveland Spiders? Not a good name.
    You realize all I can think about now is the movie Major League?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an author's table this weekend at the local Sci Fi Convention. The children made it for me. A tiny girl was dressed as Catwoman. Her father had discovered a way to keep her safe and happy. He dressed a a policeman with her handcuffed to him! She walked proudly past my table. Her happy face shouted, "I'm Bad! I'm Bad!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. i visited your blog yesterday and tried to make a comment but for some reason or another it wouldn't accept my comment at all. I don't know what was going on but here I am again. I wanted to say that I have always been a New York Yankee Fan ever since I was a child. Also my father loved baseball. He watched every game he could find on the television.

    As for Rory, he is a darling. I love your beagle.

    Shalom,
    Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cleveland Spiders! I think that would actually be pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete