Monday, September 26, 2011

On the Move


Five and a half years ago my husband promised we had moved our last time, but I somehow knew we were not finished yet and now we are on the cusp of a great new adventure to the West. I feel like an American pioneer back in the early 1800s.  They packed up all their belongings and traveled across the country in a covered wagon.  They were in search of a better life and the chance to pursue their dreams.  The promise of what lay ahead was worth any perils which might come their way. So they left their families and friends knowing they may never see them again.

On Friday, we will be packing up our covered wagon, a Dodge Grand Caravan, and driving 2400 miles West to Seattle, Washington.  It will be our 8th  home state. Like the pioneer families, I'm excited for the adventures our Westward journey will bring, but the thrill is mellowed by the people I'm leaving behind.
In only 5 years I've become far too attached to the new friends and students who surround me here in Ohio. They made going to work everyday seem more like hanging out with my best buddies.

My students hold a special place in my heart.  In the years I have worked with them, they have grown as skaters but more importantly as people and I hope I influenced them for the better.  I'm honored that I was able to direct them through lessons of dedication, hard work, and overcoming failure which they can use the rest of their lives.  I've watched them grow up and now I must say "good bye".  I realize this sounds a little overly dramatic in a era when everyone is only a Skype call, Facebook notification, or plane flight away but the point is after seeing them almost every day for 5 years, I will miss being in their presence.

I know they will continue to grow and thrive after I leave and I will meet wonderful new friends and students in Seattle who could never replace my Ohio family but only create a new space in my heart.  I dream of the day when my husband wants to stay in one place, but until then I am content meeting more best buddies around the country.

It also makes it easier having all of you blogger best buddies no matter where I live!  Thanks for all the great support and all the new followers!

Kathy

8 comments:

  1. moving stinks! and i am in ohio! i'm losing a neighbor i never knew i had!
    we've been here 8 yrs and i hope we dont hav to move again either (my 6th home state)
    wishing you happy travels and easy adjustments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've moved eight times? That is amazing. I hope you're upgrading each time and have a blast decorating when you get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to move! I had to stop once the kids started school. Two more years...

    I hope you settle quickly, and add some more people to love and care for. Funny now, when we think out heart is full, it makes room for more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck in your new adventure out west!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've lived in Leicester UK all my life so I can't even imagine what it must be like to move so many times. Good luck and, like you say, where ever you go you won't be able to get rid of us! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We moved a few times when I was a kid--across country twice. It didn't bother me too much and probably was good in a way. One thing about blogging is that we're here no matter where you move to.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh...good luck! I've decided moving is a beast! Enjoy the roadtrip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tara- Thanks, five years is th longest we've been anywhere. Hopefully we will stay put some day!

    Laila- Well it's not always an upgrade but we do have a blast exploring new territory together and meeting new friends. I'll have to work on the decorating, it's not my strong suit.

    Sarah- Really? I always resist moving. But once we are at the new place I make it home quickly.

    Jenny- Thanks!

    Rosalind- Thanks. Yeah! I'm so happy to have blogging buddies that are always in the same place!

    Arlee- though I hate saying "goodbye" I do think moving is good in some ways. It is great to really see other parts of the country.

    Carla- Thanks. We are packing a bunch of movies to keep the kids busy! :)

    ReplyDelete