Friday, November 5, 2010

Book Review

I just finished reading Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin.  I had been wanting to read it for awhile, but it just kept moving to the bottom of my "to read" pile.  Then my husband strongly suggested that I move it to the top.  I'm glad I heeded his advice.  In his book, Mr. Colvin, uses research to prove his point that "talent",  the way we most often use the word, is not inborn.  It comes from what he terms "deliberate practice".  Mindlessly swinging the golf club at the range doesn't do it.  You have to create a system where you search for your inadequacies, then focus all your energy on strengthening those aspects of your game.  Anyone can do it but it takes a ton of work..... more than most people are willing take on.  I thought it was very inspiring.  No one should ever think they don't have the "talent" for something and give up.  If you want it, whether it's in sports, music, business, or life in general, diligently work on your weak areas and you will improve.

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment