Hope everyone had a lovely Valentine's Day. After 17 years of marriage my husband and I have gotten pretty lax on celebrating. I used to make him a special dinner and he used to make me a card, but last night I decided to take it easy and make a big pot of chili and a spinach salad (ok that is his favorite salad). And he said, "Oh yeah, that's right today is Valentine's Day." Ahh men! But don't worry I'm ok with that because throughout our marriage he has supported me in all my crazy endeavors and opened my mind up to even more wonderful possibilities. I've come to believe the every day stuff is more important than the once a year events!
Our daughter Alyssa had special plans for us though so she enlisted the help of my son Ryan. They made Red Velvet cupcakes, got out candles, picked out a pink cyclamen (flower) from the store and made little paper heart decorations. Alyssa also spent time cleaning up the kitchen so it would look sparkly clean for dinner. It was a wonderful treat! Thanks Alyss and Ryan! and Happy Valentines Day Sweetie.
Other sweet things: Awards! Yeah!
A few days ago, Nick Wilford bestowed the Kreativ Blogger and the Versatile Blogger Awards on me. Thanks so much Nick! So here are 7 random facts about me:
1. I love fishing. I used to go fishing every weekend with my Gramps, we'd sit in the boat talking and watching the sunset and we'd even catch some big fish sometimes. Now I try to go with him at least once a summer, he's 90 and still fishin'. Wish I could make it to Michigan more often!
2. I used to be a terrible cook, but now after 17 years of cooking for my family I can actually devise my own recipes that everyone loves.
3. I'm a nut about eating organic or home cooked foods. I totally believe in the healing power of fresh fruits, veggies and yogurts and dark chocolate.
4. I get overly sentimental when I see a delicate rose opening its petals, a sunset painting the heavens pink, or a soft blanket of snow sparkling like crystals in the sunlight.
5. I'm terrified of spiders and sharks but snakes and bats are ok. I even had to save my husband from a bat once.
6. I love traveling with my family! We've been to lots of great places including: Japan, India, Mexico, Yellowstone National Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, and some great Canadian cities- Whistler, Toronto, and Quebec.
7. Last Fall we "moved" from Ohio to Seattle. We drove the entire 2600 miles and saw Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore and Devil's Tower and all the corn in between. Then we decided Seattle wasn't quite right and drove the 2600 miles back to Ohio seeing Sun Valley, Id, Craters of the Moon. We got stuck in a snowstorm at the Grand Tetons and saw a bear and a moose!
And a bonus number 8 because my son says I have to add this.
8. My son says, I'm the worst at playing video games--even his grandma is better; but one day I beat a level in Mini Ninjas that no one else could! :)
I'm passing these on to the following wonderful blogger buddies:
Julie at Rosewood Pencil Box
Jess at Write Skate Dream
Fair Betty at Fair Bettys World
Melissa Sugar at Fiction Tool Box
Rena at Dr Faerie Godmother
Alyssa at Life Is Good
Have a great day!