Monday, August 8, 2011

A New Experience

Taking your daughters shopping is supposed to be one of those special treats for moms.  But just a few days ago I realized that my daughters were already 14 and 12 and I still had not taken them on a real shopping trip. I know this sounds crazy! Of course I have bought them clothes over the years. But usually we run to the store and buy a replacement pair of pants for the school's choir concert or whatever function is about to take place.  We never go to the mall for the sole purpose of getting lost in the racks upon racks of new clothes.  I decided this had to change.  We had to share this experience at least once before they go to college.  
So we set the day and we were happy to finally be shopping together.   The first couple stores we went into didn't have what they were looking for.  Alyssa found a t-shirt that she kind of liked but I convinced her that we could come back if that was all she found.  After that everywhere they looked they found something.  Even Ryan was getting into the spirit, though there were far more girl's stores than boy's.  They all tried things on and modeled for each other.  The girls fawned all over Ryan when he came out in his spiffy new ensembles. He ate up all the attention and didn't seem to mind that there were fewer stores for him.  I was delighted that everyone was having a great time but being rather cheap, I mentally computed the dollar signs adding up on my credit card statement and told them they needed to only pick a few of their favorites.  They complied and after about 2 1/2 hours we had wandered through almost every store.  


Back at home we rested our sore feet and they compared their treasures.  I was a little afraid I would hear, "he got more than me!", or some other utterance of the sort.  But by some happy miracle they all got the exact same number of items!


All in all, it was a wonderful experience and we will definitely go again!


Kathy

4 comments:

  1. It must be a girl thing this shopping. Me, I'd rather find time to get away from the maddening crowd that is called a mall and go for a walk on the beach. I cant stand malls, too many people wondering around trying to find reasons to be there. Went to one today and couldn't wait to get out and back to the quiet of the farm. Snow fights and Bungi jumping, river rafting and sailing these are a few of my favourite things, malls not. good post though, you are a great writer, I hope you know that. Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Geoff- Thanks so much! I actually prefer a walk on the beach or a hike in the woods myself, but I remember shopping with my mom and having a great time. It seems a lot more fun when it's not your own money you're spending! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am full of admiration and just a tad jealous. When my kids were that age shopping expeditions ended in tears (often mine!) as no one could agree where to go or what to buy. Going out now with grown up children is far more rewarding for me. So glad it worked out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a perfect day! They're still some of the fondest memories I have of my teenagehood - shopping with my mum! glad you all had fun
    Lx

    ReplyDelete