Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Vermicomposting

I'm a little odd, so don't be too surprised when I tell you I keep worms in my garage.  It all started when my kids had a pet turtle that needed worms in it's diet.  I got tired of driving 25 minutes to the pet store once a week to buy them.  So I searched around on the internet and I found out that you can keep a small container of worms who feed on left over food scraps.  Well the turtle sadly has left us, but the worms are thriving.  I began with about 30 red worms and now have a large plastic storage bin full of them.  Most of our kitchen waste goes directly into the bin and after a week or two they have gobbled it up.  They turn it into a beautifully rich soil amendment that I use all over my garden and in my potted plants.  It has become quite a learning experience for the kids too.  They have been able to see the process of decomposition up close and have witnessed the life cycle of worms.  Yes they are slimy, but the kids now see the impact of a creature that we ignore in our daily lives.   Alyssa still thinks they are creepy!

Kathy


A couple of my worms crawling in their bedding of egg cartons

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm impressed! I can barely keep plant alive, let alone take care of worms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea. I may have to do that for my garden.

    ReplyDelete