Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stomp Away Your Fear

I have never been all that brave.  I'm terrified of large spiders, I'm scared of swimming in the ocean (JAWS just ruined it for me), and I still hear every creak in the night when my husband is away on business.  Could I expect my kids to be more daring?  Well they aren't.  They are even afraid to go upstairs alone in the middle of the day.  I guess they inherited my overactive imagination.  But this week my husband decided they needed to work on this.  He implemented a new rule:  Every day you must do at least one thing you are afraid to do.  Only by facing your fears can you conquer them.  The first couple days they completed small feats of courage.  But last night, my 6 year old son stomped up the steps all by himself and got a book from my room without even turning the lights on.  He didn't even run back down the stairs, he continued to stomp his way down.  When he returned from his journey he proudly proclaimed, "Nothing ate me!" I guess it's time for me to stomp away my fears as well.



I'd love to hear what you're afraid of.

Kathy

p.s.  Eleanor Roosevelt said, "I believe that anyone can conquer fear by doing the things he fears to do, provided he keeps doing them until he gets a record of successful experiences behind him."
This quote was found on http://www.famousquotesandauthors.com/search.html  

3 comments:

  1. I'm afraid of freaky people waiting in my room, dark hooded figures, ghosts and a lot more!!! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really KNOW what I'm afraid of, I just know that I'm scared and I NEED TO RUN!!!!!!!!!!! haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. See what I mean about inheriting my imagination! When have these creepies ever been in your rooms? :)

    ReplyDelete