Saturday, August 4, 2012

On the Road

In Lake Geneva, Wi 

We're on a road trip for a few days.  Not to some exotic location, we're just following my husband along on his business trip to Wisconsin.  While he's in meetings and conferences we explore our surroundings.  Even though I have a knack for getting lost, I plug in my GPS, grab a map from the hotel, and search for new people and places.

Yesterday we explored the little town of Lake Geneva.  Back in the late 1800s the town grew as a vacation spot for wealthy Chicagoans, where they could get away from the city to hunt and fish  Today it is a cute little lake front town with shops, restaurants, and a public beach.  We found two lovely little restaurants:  "Simple" which served delicious fresh sandwiches with local ingredients and "Sopra" a bistro serving a yummy assortment of pastas and seafood.

The crystal clear lake  is 7 miles long and 2 miles across and is dotted with mansions dating back to the early 1800s.  The Wrigleys and many other wealthy families still own properties there.  We took an hour boat tour of the lake which highlights some of the most spectacular homes.
One of the mansions on the lake, it is now used as 5 condominiums



If you ever find yourself in Wisconsin it is definitely a worthy place to stop.





On the boat tour.  (Luckily my husband got to join us.)
For the weekend we are exploring Madison, Wi.

Kathy :)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy. What a great idea to tag along on hub's business trip now the kids are out of school. Thanks for sharing the info/photos. I love learning about new places. Lake Geneva, huh? I've been to Geneva in Switzerland and it's out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wisconsin is beautiful. I so envy you going ... especially with family. I am a Lone Ranger now. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. It meant a lot, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy! There's a place up there called The House On The Rock. I heard it was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to live in Wisconsin. It's beautiful! Hope you're having fun in Madison. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wrigleys, is that as in spearmint gum? I imagine there's some money in that family! It looks very scenic.

    ReplyDelete