Wednesday, August 1, 2012

IWSG


It's August 1st already and the first Wednesday of the month. So it's time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group started by Alex Cavanaugh.  It's a  place we can share our insecurities, fears, hopes and dreams.

This week a writer friend mentioned to me that she had gotten positive feedback from an agent.  The agent suggested some vague adjustments and then wanted to see the manuscript again.  My friend made some great changes, but mentioned that she was now scared to send it because she wasn't sure if it was what the agent wanted.

It made me think of all the young skaters I coach.  How they work so hard perfecting certain skating skills but when it comes time to perform in front of a judge, they tense up, over think, and become timid.  I understand why.  I remember how nerve racking it is to be the only one standing on that cold slippery surface with all eyes focused on me.  It's hard to pour your passion into something and open yourself up to criticism.

But performing is what the sport is all about.  Sometimes the judges won't like it.  That's ok because getting feedback is how students learn to make it even better.  Skaters can't let fear paralyze them.  And neither can writers.  It's scary to send out manuscripts that we've spent months polishing but if we don't we will surely fail.    

Kathy :)                  


15 comments:

  1. 'Over thinking' it's amazing how many times I've heard that phrase in the last couple of weeks. It must mean something. Are we trying too hard to please everyone all the time?? Perhaps you have to stay true to yourself even if it means waiting for the right opportunity to present itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think sometimes we try too hard to please other people. We have to remember why we're writing in the first place.

      Delete
  2. Well, she'll never know if she doesn't send it, and to me that would be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. feedback scares me and yet I know its necessary. I've received feedback that I disagree with because it changes the tone and I no longer hear my voice.

    anyway.... hello, I'm visiting from IWSG :) happy day after Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you always have to agree with criticism but it should make you think; if you still have a good reason to keep it as is then be confident in your choice.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Oh, how agonizing in it's truth. This is definitely a shrewd assessment of the situation. I hope your friend remembered that you can't please everyone, and in the end, it's her name on the manuscript, so she'd better be the one in love with it.

    Still, it's hard to release those things out into the world. I hope she does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too because it was a really cute story and very well written.

      Delete
  5. I agree that it's hard for writers to open themselves up to criticism. I think it's important for writers not to take things personally if they don't like what they hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. They aren't criticizing the writer just the writing.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. If she is happy with the "great changes" - I assume these are her words - then she should go for it with confidence. I agree with your assessment whole heartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true. We all have to go through the growing pains. It's the only way we're going to get better at what we do. Great post! :)

    IWSG #179 (At least until Alex culls the list again. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything in life incorporates growing pains, writing is no different. I'm a new follower from IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, I was the worst ice skater at Squaw Valley's Blythe Arena and, splat, I kept my skate guards on when I stepped onto the ice to display score cards. I'll stick with writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry but there's nothing worse than "vague" or confusing suggestions from an agent (especially one who then refuses to clarify due to being too busy). Is that really the agent a writer wants to spend the rest of their career working with? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete