Monday, June 25, 2012

Weekend Fun and Booker Award!




Happy Monday everyone!  I can't believe that June is almost over!  Where did it go?  

I hope everyone had a great weekend.
We decided to do something a little different yesterday.  We drove down to a biking/hiking path in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and took the kids on an 11 1/4 mile bike ride! I know it's not much for avid bikers, but we are not what you would call experienced. It was the farthest any of us had ever ridden.  Ryan had just learned to ride his bike about 2 months ago!  


It was a beautiful ride through forests, river basins and meadows.  We saw a number of turtles, some ducks, 2 blue herons and 2 bald eagles.  


The kids did a fantastic job!  Ryan fell off and skinned his knee once, but after a little hug from me he was back up and leading us down the path again.  On our drive back home they all fell asleep.    

******


 Last week I was given the Booker Award by Alyssa. Thanks Alyssa! To accept this award I have to share the top 5 books I've ever read and pick 5 others to receive the award.  I hope you have a chance to enjoy reading some of them.  






1. Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin
This biography is a fantastic look at one of our greatest Presidents and the men he surrounded himself with.




2. Elizabeth I by Margaret George
In this in depth novel, Margaret George tells the fascinating story of the virgin queen through the eyes of Elizabeth and Elizabeth's conniving cousin Lettice.  




3. Freedom at Midnight by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre
A heartbreaking historical work documenting India's struggle for independence from Great Britain.




4. Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution by Michelle Moran
A wonderful novel, showing a different side of the French Royal family than we usually see.  It's a heartbreaking tale of what occurs when insanity rules.




5. The Great Upheaval:  America and the Birth of the Modern World by Jay Winik
This historical work by Mr. Winik weaves together the important events happening in  America, France and Russia during the period 1788-1800.  It leaves us with a new perspective of a time past that was as interconnected as our own.    


And here are the 5 lucky bloggers who I will bestow this award upon:

McKenzie McCann
Lynn Proctor
Tobi Summers
Fairbetty
Rosalind Adam

What are you reading this summer?  What is your favorite book of all time?  Did you have some fun this weekend?

Kathy :)

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the award. I shall have to sit down and have a think about this one. Your bike ride sounds impressive. I can't ride a bike so it wouldn't have suited me. We went out for lots of meals this weekend and now I'm feeling bloated. Maybe I should learn how to ride a bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this award! Wow... 5 top books I've EVER read... that'll take a while, I think... I like your picks. I'm gonna need to start a running recommendation list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!
    And two bald eagles? That is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey thanks so much for my award!!--i just finished a book, i was so sorry to have end----"destined to reign" by joseph prince!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful weekend activity! Love that picture!

    ReplyDelete