Friday, March 1, 2013

Back From the Future and From the Ashes Announcement!

Back From the Future Blogfest hosted by M. Pax, Suze and Nicki Elson

You’re up before dawn on a Saturday when the doorbell rings. You haven’t brewed your coffee so you wonder if you imagined the sound. Plonking the half-filled carafe in the sink, you go to the front door and cautiously swing it open. No one there. As you cast your eyes to the ground, you see a parcel addressed to you … from you.
You scoop it up and haul it inside, sensing something legitimate despite the extreme oddness of the situation. Carefully, you pry it open. Inside is a shoebox — sent from ten years in the future — and it’s filled with items you have sent yourself.
What’s in it?

My future box would hold:

A letter to myself telling me not to worry about my kids' future, because they all turn out to be great adults enjoying their lives, so relax and just enjoy every minute spent with them. There are even pictures of their beautiful families.

News clippings of a disaster that occurs in 2020, with a list of names of people I should attempt to save and instructions on how to save them.  A pink Post-It-Note is stuck to that pile, in big black Sharpie marker it says, "Don't trust Robert Terrance, may be involved." 

Another letter telling me that my future self wanted to put in various other pictures and items like a completed copy of my bestselling novel, but "future me" thought I needed the whole long and agonizing journey of 10 drafts and decided instead to simply tell me, "KEEP WRITING, remember it's the journey that counts!"   

"Argghh", I curse "future me", but get back to my computer and take up editing with a renewed energy.   

What would be in your box?

*****
FROM THE ASHES BLOGFEST

Jess, over at Write Skate Dream, is announcing the blogfest to celebrate the launch of her debut novel, From the Ashes.  Here are all the details:  

  1. Sign up on the linky list below
  2. Grab the blogfest button above
  3. On Friday, March 8th, tell us about a time when you or your character was thrown into a trial by fire situation. What biggest fears did you or your character have to face? What sort of situation would test you to the fullest?
  4. Post the pre-written info I will send you by email with the cover and a few more details about From the Ashes
(If you only feel like doing #4 that's fine, too :)

If you can't make the blogfest, that's okay. If you'd be willing to help me spread the word with an interview on your blog, that would be perfect! (You can email me at jessicamckendry@icloud.com) Or you could just help me announce that I'm actually published now.

14 comments:

  1. I'm so with you on the kids -- and I totally agree with future self! You must go through those 10 drafts so that the final result will be so much rewarding.

    I can't do the March 8 fest BUT I've made a note to send out some tweets that day to spread the word. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think, in ten years, you get revenge because you send the note and not the finished book!
    Let me check my schedule on that blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those darn 'future selves'...always wanting us to work for it!

    Great entry, I liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the book! And I hoe I'm on the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that your future self reminded you it's all about the journey :) great post!

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh that future you had to make things difficult LOL. Very curious about Robert Terrance and the disaster. Your box is like the plot of a movie!

    Congrats to Jess on her novel!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicki-Thanks so much for helping Jess spread the word!

    Alex- Ha never thought about getting revenge on myself!
    Thanks Jess would love your help.

    Mark- Those future selves just think they know so much!

    nutschell- I guess she thinks she knows what's best for me.

    Suze- Only my future self knows that!

    Michael- That would have been nice!

    M Pax- Thanks, yes you're on it!

    Julie- Robert is a mystery to me too, I wonder what year I meet him.

    Jess is soo excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy. It can sometimes be scary thinking about our future, especially of our children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting take on the challenge. I find with each edit I make, I grow as a writer, so if given the final draft, one might not achieve greatness.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeez, I hope you don't meet TWO Robert Terrances; you might mistrust the wrong one!

    Fun post. Guess your future self is gonna make you work for it, huh? Good for her... you... um, both of you.

    Nice to meetcha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope my future self never meets Robert Terrance!

    Lovely post. New Follower here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the colour of your post-its! And the inclination to save lives, I should add, and the work ethic- the journey makes the destination :-)

    ReplyDelete