Monday, October 22, 2012

If I Let You Go Blogfest


Yay!!  I won a book this week.
I was so excited the other day to find out that I had won Kyra Lennon's book, Game On, from Nick Wilford's anniversary blogfest.  Needless to say, I got right to reading it and I don't want to put it down!

And to celebrate the release of Kyra's novella, If I Let You Go, she's having a blogfest that I decided to join last minute.

Here are the rules in Kyra's words:

Was there a time when you had to let go of someone or something? How did it make you feel? How did you handle it? Or if that's too personal - which I completely understand - how about writing a piece of flash fiction?
The only rules are - obviously - it has to be related to letting go, and please keep it to a maximum of 500 words.
When the day arrives, I will hop around to all the entries, along with my independent judge (otherwise known as "Mum" LOL), and the story that touches us the most will win a $10 Amazon gift card!

Here is my entry, a flash fiction piece at 500 words exactly:

I’m lost in a sea of smiling faces.  Everywhere I turn dads are playing catch with their kids and couples are snuggled together on blankets.  The autumn sky is a bright blue and there’s not a cloud to be seen.  On a normal day I might be happy too.  But this is not a normal day.  I can feel it. 

I wander through the park not heading anywhere.  Just wandering.  Killing time.  Time until my world falls apart.  
My phone buzzes.  It startles me, I forgot it was in my pocket.  It’s from him.

“Need to talk. Coffee. 15 min.”

My heart hammers in my chest. I knew this was coming.  He had acted strange and distant for a couple months now.  I thought we could work through it, but he had hardly been home.  His business trips were more frequent and he spent most nights working late.

My pace quickens as I head for the coffee shop.  The one where we first met.

He’s already there, sitting at our usual table.  Sunlight streams through the window making his dark hair gleam. He still makes my legs weak.

“Hey Jen, have a seat.” His deep brown eyes glance at me with a casualness that makes me shiver.  He looks back at his cellphone.   After 5 years of marriage, he has no more emotion than if he was in a business meeting.  

I sit down and tears well up in my eyes.  I bite my lip to stay composed.

He sets his phone down and finally looks at me.  “I’m sorry Jen, but it’s not working anymore.”

He expects me to say something, but no words form in my mouth.  Even if I knew what to say, the rock sized lump in my throat wouldn’t allow me to speak.  So I sit there.  Hoping I’ll wake up from this nightmare.  

He swirls his coffee in his cup and takes a long sip.  “What we had before was good, but...well  you have to see it, right?”  

“See what?” I choke out.  Heat radiates from my neck and my shirt collar suddenly seems too tight.  

“We’ve changed.  We have to move on.”  He pats my hand as if that’s going to make me feel better.  God he’s clueless!

“I still love you.”  My voice is barely a whisper.  I can hardly breathe.  “Can’t we start again?” I plead. The tears won’t be held back any longer.  They flood my face.  Did he ever love me?  My heart feels like he's cleaved it in two.

“Look Jen, what I’m trying to say is,” he pauses and leans in, “I’ve already moved on.  I’ll come by tomorrow and pick up all my stuff.  You need to move on too.”  

He stands up leaving me alone at the table. I wish the sky would darken, open up and pour out rain.  But it remains blue, refusing to mimic my world.  
 
“Move on.” I repeat his words in my head, but my hollow soul doesn’t understand.  

****
Stop by Kyra's blog to visit all the other entries.

Kathy :-)

9 comments:

  1. First of all, I'm thrilled you're enjoying Game On! :D

    This was a really good entry, full of feeling and emotion, great job!

    Thanks for joining in with the bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy, I felt the anguish even though she knew it was coming and was crying with her. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was heartless. Good job with the emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from the hop. Very emotional. Been there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very intense... and an all too familiar scenario...
    Thanks for sharing.
    I'm checking in from the bloghop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i saw her heart crack and burst into shards. so moving! great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. would love to hear what happens next...kick his butt!!! :0~ blog hopping and new follower...hi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, I hope she burns his new house down. (Because this is fiction, and that's allowed and not illegal in fiction land :) )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you're enjoying Game On!

    That was a finely written and sad entry. I hope she manages to let go and realise that she's better off without this b******! ;)

    ReplyDelete