Wednesday, September 5, 2012

IWSG Characters in the Mist




It's the first Wednesday of the month which means it is time for Alex Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group.  It is a place where we can come together to voice our fears, insecurities and also share our succeses? Check out all the other entries this month here.

Well we're still in California but between the sea kayaking and hiking, I've had a lot of time to think about my character development.

Some of them are still hanging in the mist.  That's the way I explain it anyway.
They are there but I haven't uncovered their complete souls yet.  They're foggy and ghost-like.  I don't have the power to see their entire form, only a whisper of their existence.  I'm blinldy groping for them.

I have to make myself see.  They deserve to be known.  But how do I breathe life into their flesh and pull them from the fog?

I don't know.  I'm attempting to write back stories for most of my characters.  I hope this helps me uncover who they really are.

Do you have tips on how you bring your characters to life?


Have a great week!

Kathy :)

4 comments:

  1. Backstory is a good idea. I try to do detailed character sheets on all the major players so I have a better grasp on who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think creating backstory helps. Sometimes I try to take parts of personalities of people I know, and that helps me to imagine my characters more clearly.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the others' advice about creating a backstory. It also helps when I put myself in my character's shoes (but without pretending to be them) and think about how it'd be like for me to come from their background, to carry their history...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes you just have to start writing about your characters before they reveal themselves to you. Enjoy California!

    ReplyDelete