Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Little Frogman

My son has loved swimming for a long time, but recently he's been enamored with snorkeling.  So yesterday when Ryan received a box in the mail with a brand new snorkel, mask, fins and wetsuit he was ecstatic.  He put them all on and walked, well waddled, around the house.  He didn't want to take them off.

I remember being that age, the age where I did stuff even if other people thought I looked funny or silly.  I used to choreograph my own dance moves to every TV show theme song we watched like Magnum PI and Simon and Simon.  I can't believe my parents, or my brothers for that matter didn't laugh and make fun of me for it.  Of course I also remember my brother dressing up as a ninja and sneaking around the house....

This year I want to get back to that careless attitude.  If I want to write a novel in a genre that everyone says is overdone, I'm going to forge ahead and finish it anyway.
If I want to continue skating, despite the sideways glances I get, (because I'm too old and only the kids should be working on that stuff), I'll skate even harder.  I'm going to do these things because they bring me happiness and fulfillment.  It's ok if people think I'm crazy.

Is there anything you're struggling to do because "conventional wisdom" says you shouldn't?

If you would like to check out our Nicaraguan dinner recipes hop over to Foreign Food Fest

Have a great Wednesday!

Kathy
     

5 comments:

  1. That is one serious outfit!!! I just love kids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he should wear it next Halloween, minus the flippers!

      Delete
  2. So, does Ryan have any plans for trying out the snorkle equipment to see some really wild fish? In the near future? On an island? In a warm climate with no penguins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to take him to Guam!!!!! Safe, shallow waters when the tide is down with plenty of tropical fish. That's where GM found a red octopus!

    ReplyDelete