Friday, December 14, 2012

A Beautiful Night

From Wikipedia

Last night I read that the Earth was passing through the Geminid Meteor stream which would produce a great opportunity to view the meteors as shooting stars in the night sky.  Ryan and I decided we had to see it.

Around 10:00 pm we put on our coats and went outside.  The sky was perfect for gazing at stars.  No moon or clouds.  We stood out in the cold for about 15 minutes.  Then we saw it, well I did.  Ryan said he saw a little of it.  But he was getting cold.

We went inside and decided to read together while laying under the window.  That way we could still see the sky.  After reading two chapters the sky called to us again.  We turned off all the lights and huddled up next to the window, gazing to the heavens.  "I see one!" he exclaimed almost jumping out of my lap.  He ran to tell Jess that we really could see them and she joined us.

So the three of us squeezed together and waited, hoping to see some more.  We sat there for about 45 minutes hugging each other and whispering like kids at a slumber party.  Every now and then beautiful streaks of light crossed the sky above us.  In total, we saw about 10.

As I tucked Ryan into bed, I said, "Thanks buddy for watching with me."

"Oh mom, you don't have to thank me, it was awesome! Can we do it again tomorrow?"


Kathy :)
Have a great weeekend!   

6 comments:

  1. I missed it last night! Can you see the meteors again tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are experiences one will never forget... especially when he asked if it will happen again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex- Yeah I think they said you can see them tonight too. The peak hours are supposed to be from 10:00-2:00.

    T.Drecker- They are the best moments of all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds awesome! I missed it too. You just motivated me ;) Hope I get to see them now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww! That sounds like a wonderful night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool -- and such a heartwarming post. After the latest tragedies in the news, this is just what I needed to read!

    ReplyDelete