Saturday, October 30, 2010

Testing Day

Today is testing day for many of my skaters.  Passing tests is the only way a skater moves to a new level.  It's nerve racking.  Three judges sit at the side of the rink and zero in on every mistake like a hungry eagle hunting mice.  If the skater performs the particular set of skills well, they receive a "Pass".  If not, the dreaded "Retry".  If I have done my job correctly, all the skater has to do is stay calm, hopefully the skating just flows.  Unfortunately, this is not an easy task.  Some skaters attach so much to passing the test that they "lose their legs" out on the ice.  They wobble, they forget their patterns, ......they fall.  But skating is all about handling pressure.  As their coach all I ask is that they do their best and get back up if they fall.  There is always another test.
Good Luck to all my students!

Kathy              

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. When you are scared to fail is exactly when you actually do. Congratulations on your success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It is wonderful to have a chance to help kids learn to work under pressure. I hope what they learn follows them into adulthood.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete