Sunday, September 22, 2024

Book Review: Four Thousand Weeks Time Management For Mortals by Oliver Burkeman


I used to think of time management as a tool to accomplish the most amount of work in the most efficient manner. This book is not about that type of time management. It's not about productivity. Four Thousand Weeks by Oliver Burkeman is an eye opening look at managing the time in our lives by choosing to spend our time doing the things that are really important to us instead of saying, "Oh I will work on my passion when I have more free time." So many people put off what they really want to do and then never get to it.

The average person lives approximately 4,000 weeks and that of course is if you're lucky to live into your 80s. That doesn't really seem like very many weeks.

If you have a dream, start working on it now.

I'm more than half done with my 4,000 weeks. I only have about 1296 weeks left. Maybe I'll have a little more time as I have two grandparents that lived into their 90s and my mom at 82 is still going strong. But the point is you never really know.

My task is to think about how I really want to spend what I do have left. Some people think this is a depressing way to think, or that it means you have to be working all the time. I see it more as liberating. Thinking about it makes me at least a little more present and grateful each day. Maybe some days I still want to sit back and watch some football with my husband, spend a day writing, or take a nice long nap, but the point is that I want to be consciously making those decisions instead of mindlessly going through the motions each day. I want to be present and choose what is important to me each moment.

What will you choose to do more of?


Kathy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment