Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Happy New Year! and #IWSG Post

 

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!--from IWSG.com

Our awesome co-hosts this month are:  Erika Beebe, Olga Godim, Sandra Cox, Sarah Foster, and Chemist Ken!

January's question: What's the one thing about your writing career that you regret the most? Were you able to overcome it?

I think my nephew said it best this NYE when he said, "I'm going to trust myself more."

My biggest regret of my "writing career" is that it took me a very long time to trust my own writing. I had some successes scattered throughout the years, getting a couple poems and an article into print but rejection after rejection of my longer works got to me. It wasn't really a career at all.

Especially when my girls were little, it seemed like I was wasting precious time on something that was fruitless. So, I gave up trying to be published and I simply wrote for myself by journaling, blogging, or collecting thoughts that appeared out of nowhere.

Finally, in 2021 I took the leap to get back into the publishing world and my first book, One Year on Broadway, was published! It took me about twenty-five years to trust that my writing was good enough to persist. Now, I feel that I can say my writing career has truly begun and I trust myself and my writing more-though I need to keep working on that.


So trust yourself and who knows what you will accomplish!

We've made it to 2022, which seems like a huge accomplishment after all that 2020/2021 threw at us!


Happy New Year! 

Love to all!


Kathryn


 

14 comments:

  1. That's right - it has begun! Now you're off like a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great advice to trust yourself on your path. You took a big step in publishing your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It feels great now that I've take that step!

      Delete
  3. I think most writers have had a time when they just weren't writing towards publication, or writing at all, and then eventually came back stronger than ever. All that matters in the end is getting to where you need to be in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you have kids, it's tough. But now you have the time and you've already published one book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how other people juggle having young kids and writing! I definitely miss my kids now that they are mostly out of the house, but it is nice to have a little more time to myself! :)

      Delete
  5. Great advice to trust yourself. Publishing your first book was only the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great way to think about! Creatives have a hard time trusting themselves.

    The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great advice. I have ups and downs in my confidence. Congrats on getting back to publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, Kathryn.
    Congratulations on publishing your first book.
    I think "I'm going to trust myself more" is a great mantra for 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having trust in yourself is massive. You can do a lot more with that mindset. All the best for 2022!

    ReplyDelete