Saturday, April 25, 2015

V is for Vonnegut

This year, my theme is Quotes from A-Z.  Each day I will post a quote from a person whose name starts with each day's letter.  It will be short and sweet but hopefully it will bring a moment of inspiration, laughter, or meditation to your busy day.  I would love to hear your thoughts on the quotes in the comments or what other quote is your favorite by that day's person. On each Saturday, I will list all the quotes from the week and you can vote to tell me which was your favorite!

V is for Kurt Vonnegut
(1922-2007)

Kurt Vonnegut
From Wikipedia








“I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.”














Here's the weekly recap.  Which quote did you like the most and why?


Q- Don Quixote:  “When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!” 
R- Theodore Roosevelt:  “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
S- William Shakespeare:  “How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.” -Merchant of Venice
T- Mark Twain: “what is joy without sorrow? what is success without failure? what is a win without a loss? what is health without illness? you have to experience each if you are to appreciate the other. there is always going to be suffering. it’s how you look at your suffering, how you deal with it, that will define you.” and just for fun: “Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.”
U- Unpopular Essays: “Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.”-Bertrand Russell

All quotes found on Goodreads.

Have a great weekend!

Kathy :)

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these quotes, especially the ones by Vonnegut and Rooseve

    My A to Z post for V is at http://www.preciousmonsters.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see Kurt Vonnegut's name, I'm reminded how much I need to read his work. And then I forget! All the quotes you've chosen have been fantastic :-)

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd probably fall over the edge.
    I liked Roosevelt's quote best this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes though I rather be in the center, especially if the edge is over a high thing!

    I'm going with William Shakespeare's quote for the reason I think I left in the comments that day; it helped me to remind myself to do good deeds and keep my candle lit :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super quote from an author I enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the quotes you have shared, but T is my absolute favorite from the list! Can relate it to so much!! :)
    Shilpa Garg

    ReplyDelete