Friday, April 22, 2011

Skating


My student & daughter at practice :)

When I'm not at home with my family, I'm on the ice.  It is my passion.  Gliding across the frozen water, I feel a freedom of spirit that I can't fully explain.  Even the smell of the ice excites my senses.  When I think about it, it seems silly.  Why would I spend so much time in a giant indoor refrigerator teaching people how to move across the artificial surface.  Why?  Because it is fantastically fun.  I honestly can't imagine my life without skating.  It is part of who I am.  
I love the skating itself but I also love the coaching.  I am thrilled to spend all day teaching what I love to people of all ages.  Each one of my students are such wonderfully different people. I strive to not only improve their athletic ability but to be a positive influence in their life.  To be one more person who cares about them and to show them that although perfection is not attainable, it is worthy to strive for in all areas.   


Kathy


Click on the video to see a single axel performed by Alyssa.    



3 comments:

  1. I loved skating, when I was a kid. I particularly loved skating on a frozen lake, with nothing but the sound of my skates on the ice and a chilly breeze in my ears. There was always that little thrill of fear, where there were ruts in the surface - and the amazement at seeing black ice-encased fish around the tiny island in the middle of the lake, where the unfrozen edge acted like nature's Zamboni, constantly resurfacing a small circle of ice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds really wonderful. Ice skating coach? Awesome! Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course this Post is very wonderful for me to have. Alyssa's axel is a beautiful keepsake and so is Jessica's gorgeous lunge. I love being on the ice with all of you. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete